ncftp vs. lftp?

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sat Jan 31 16:00:16 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 09:36, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> Just fine-tuning some stuff here, and I noticed lftp in Fedora. I've never
> used it, but I do know ncftp (also included) pretty well. What makes me
> curious is that, when performing a minimal install, lftp is installed and
> ncftp is not. I would have to manually replace lftp with ncftp.

	Interesting...

$ lftp ftp.webtrek.com
/usr/lib/lftp/2.6.5/proto-ftp.so: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory
lftp: ftp - not supported protocol

> Can someone comment on lftp vs. ncftp? Reliability, security, convenience?
> Anything?

	I haven't used lftp (obviously) but my understanding is that it is more
like the standard ftp in functionality, but with more features.  It's
smaller and less resource consuming.  However, if you aren't constrained
by disk space ncftp is what I prefer.

--
Akebono vs Godzilla!  Coming soon to a theater near you.