MIDI with C-Media 8738?

Björn Persson bjorn_persson at sverige.nu
Sat Jan 31 19:36:00 UTC 2004

I can't find a way to play MIDI music through the built-in "sound card" on
my motherboard. Playmidi tries to use /dev/sequencer (and so does Kmid on
the rare occasions when it doesn't segfault). /dev/sequencer exists as a
device file (device 14, 1), but trying to open it produces the message "No
such device".

I found the following in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf:

class: AUDIO
bus: PCI
detached: 0
driver: cmpci
desc: "C-Media Electronics Inc|CM8738"
vendorId: 13f6
deviceId: 0111
subVendorId: 13f6
subDeviceId: 0111
pciType: 1
pcibus:  2
pcidev:  9
pcifn:  0

I currently have Linux 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl, and the cmpci module is loaded.
Assuming that the kernel is configured as specified in
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2149.nptl/configs/kernel-2.4.22-i686.config, the
cmpci module should have MIDI support. There is a line
"CONFIG_SOUND_CMPCI_MIDI=y".

If I load the v_midi module /dev/sequencer can be opened, but then Playmidi
says "No playback device found.". Maybe v_midi is for some other hardware?

/dev/midi00 seems to exist (device 14, 2). Should I link /dev/sequencer to
/dev/midi00?

In that other OS I can play MIDI files just fine, so I know the hardware is
OK.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Björn Persson