Trash folder problem

Jeff Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 7 21:48:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 06:46:37AM -0700, Mac wrote:
> I got myself into another fine mess.
>
> I copied a fat32 media folder to my desktop but I
> found out when I update that folder in Windows it
> doesn't update that desktop folder {my
> shortsightedness}.  I deleted the desktop folder and
> put into the 'trash' folder.  I am unable to empty the
> trash totally (only a folder with .jpeg's now exits)
> because I don't have 'persmission'.

I did a similar thing -- tried to make a shortcut to a folder
on a FAT32 partition, and copied it instead. You can just right
click on the file and click properties. On the permissions tab,
make sure you have write permission (give everybody write permission
if you want, it doesn't matter), and then you can delete it.
It takes a while if you did it on a lot of files, but it's less
scary than deleting things as root if you're not used to doing
things at a command line.