Arghh! FC2 & other 2.6/2.4 distro installs won't boot

allan at troi.cc.rochester.edu allan at troi.cc.rochester.edu
Tue Jun 8 19:38:17 UTC 2004

Thank you Charles. I've been spending most of my time researching possible
compatibility/driver issues with my sata and other controllers. But in booting to
run level 3 at your suggestion I can do everything I want (for now), so it seems
that the fundamental problem I am having is with X.  (BTW, the graphical boot
loader doesn't seem to be an issue. I can boot to multi-user non-graphical
mode whether rhgb is included in the grub kernel line, omitted or set to "quiet.")

So it seems I need to bone up on X.org, find the counterpart to /etc/X11/XF86Config,
adjust the settings to those suggested for my monitor (Planar 1910M, which *is* detected)
and then try a graphical boot. I'll search for pertinent threads but if anyone
has encountered a similar problem I'd appreciate some time-saving advice.

> On Tues June 08, 2004 at 12:50:13 AM charlescurley charlescurley com wrote:
> To eliminate X as the problem (I doubt it, but worth a try), edit
> /etc/inittab and change the run level from 5 to 3, or even 2 or
> 1. Look for something like this, and edit the last line:
>
>     # Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
>     #   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
>     #   1 - Single user mode
>     #   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
>     #   3 - Full multiuser mode
>     #   4 - unused
>     #   5 - X11
>     #   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
>     #
>     id:3:initdefault:

> Or, if the install will let you, initialize to boot to run level 3, no
> X.

> You may also want to edit grub.conf to remove "rhgb" from the command
> line options for your kernel. It would be safer to copy the stanza you
> want to create a new boot option, and remove "rhgb" from that one. If
> X is the problem, then rhgb may also be a problem, although you appear
> to be getting beyond it.

Allan Schindler