ppp not getting dns info on connect

Joe Conway mail at joeconway.com
Sun Jun 27 18:18:58 UTC 2004

Chuck_Sterling wrote:
> On fc2, all updates installed, ppp connects to my local ISP and I get a
> dynamic IP address as expected, but the default gateway and dns server
> IP addresses are not set up. This did work correctly on fc1, and does
> under fc2 when connecting via ethernet at $WORK.

I found that the default gateway was working fine, but usepeerdns was
not causing a resolv.conf to be created, as the pppd man page says it
should:

    usepeerdns
      Ask  the  peer  for up to 2 DNS server addresses.  The addresses
      supplied by the peer (if any) are passed to  the  /etc/ppp/ip-up
      script in the environment variables DNS1 and DNS2, and the envi-
      ronment variable USEPEERDNS will be set to 1.  In addition, pppd
      will  create  an /etc/ppp/resolv.conf file containing one or two
      nameserver lines with the address(es) supplied by the peer.

I ended up creating /etc/ppd/ip-up.local as suggested in /etc/ppd/ip-up.
It looks like:

8<------------------------
#!/bin/bash

echo "created by pppd" > /etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver ${DNS1}" >> /etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver ${DNS2}" >> /etc/resolv.conf

Seemed to do the trick for me.

Note that when plugged into a LAN, /etc/resolv.conf gets overwritten by
dhclient (which is what you probably want if you're on a LAN). If you're
using a static IP for your wired connection, you might want to put the
ppp resolv.conf in /etc/ppp as suggested on the man page. However, I
haven't tried that to see if it works.

HTH,

Joe