Installing GNOME from sources!

Adatta33 at aol.com Adatta33 at aol.com
Mon Mar 1 17:05:09 UTC 2004

Hey all!!
I've been trying to  install GNOME 2.4 from sources... but have been unable
till now...
To avoid a mess, I  decided to install the new GNOME packages under /opt.
That meant that  the new libraries and the header files would be installed in
/opt/lib  and /opt/include. So, I had to set the $PKG_CONFIG_PATH to
/opt/lib/pkgconfig (by issuing
export  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/lib/pkgconfig) so the pkgconfig utility
searched /opt/lib/pkgconfig before the usual  /usr/lib/pkg-config. I had also added
the line /opt/lib to the  file /etc/ld.so.conf. Moreover, the usual ./configure
was  replaced by ./configure --prefix=/opt so the installation folder was
/opt.
But the thing is... when  it tries to find the dependencies... it doesnt find
the files I had just  installed... even tho if I check the $PKG_CONFIG_PATH
it gives me  the correct one I've set....
Its a Mdk 9.1 with GNOME  2.2!! Since its a Fedora list... I dunno if I am
sposed to send MDK Linux related issues!! Pls  lemme kno if its ok... and if so
pls lemme kno what seems to be the problem....
Thanks in  advance
I'm trying to install it  with this referrence URL
_http://www.ilug-cal.org/GNOME_2_4.html_
(http://www.ilug-cal.org/GNOME_2_4.html)
Keep on rockin in the  free world!

Everything under the sun is in tune,