what is dcopserver?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Mon Mar 1 19:09:59 UTC 2004

I installed a wireless router a few weeks ago and KDE stopped working.
I got this
error:

There was an error setting up inter-process
communications for KDE. The message returned
by the system was:
could not read network connection list
/home/trevor/.DCOPserver_29:2a:ff_0
Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!

(KDE then bails back to the graphical login screen.)

There is no '/DCOPSERVER...' file in my home directory.

So I jiggered with my router's web setup and KDE suddenly started and I
figured it was because I had turned the router's firewall filtering
off. But the other day I had been using Win2k and when I tried to boot
to linux, KDE failed to start again. Same error. Hmm...

So I tried to boot to Gnome and it gave me this error:

Could not look up internet address for 29:2a:ff
This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly.
It may be possible to correct the problem by adding
29:2a:ff to the file /etc/hosts

(Gnome fails to start and hangs the system forcing a hard
reboot/reset.)

I was able, at all times, to boot to a 'failsafe terminal' and I had
full Internet connection so I guess the router was doing its job.

I booted back to Win2k and told the router to NOT do ANY firewall
filtering on ANY machine (neither mine, nor my roommate's) and tried
linux again and everything was back to normal. I was able to start KDE.

So, for next time, does anyone know what dcopserver is? What is this
address that KDE/GNOME are looking for? What line should I add to
/etc/hosts?

 Trevor Smith    |    trevor at haligonian.com