Quest for linux supported Wireless

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Mar 4 20:48:23 UTC 2004

Gerry Doris wrote:
> I've been trying to find a wireless solution that is supported under linux.
>
> D-Link flat out say their products aren't supported.  LinkSys said there
> are 3rd party drivers that will work with their products but they wouldn't
> recommend them.
>
> However, I see that NetGear do claim some of their products are supported
> under linux.  I would appreciate anyone sharing their experience with
> NetGear's products when using Fedora.  In particular, I'm interested in
> their new 108MB/s WGT624 router and WG311T PCI card.
>
> If NetGear isn't supported then what are people using???

Just putting this out again...

If you have W98/ME/2K/2K3 drivers available (the .sys and .inf files),
you can use the ndiswrapper driver (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net)
to use those files under Linux.  I've used it on D-Link, Broadcom,
Linksys, Cisco and a bunch of other wireless cards.

Is it native?  No.
Is it pretty?  No.
Does it work?  Yes.

This will continue to be the case until we can convince the bozo chip
makers out there (D-Link's 802.11g stuff uses TI chips for example) to
release the API or specs on the chips to the open source community.  I
don't see what they have to lose and they stand to gain the open source
users (Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc.) as clients.  Seems a reasonable
thing to me, but I'm biased.
-   "Do you suffer from long-term memory loss?"  "I don't remember"  -
-                            -- Chumbawumba, "Amnesia" (TubThumping) -