OK to use both yum and rpm on same system?

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Thu Mar 4 23:58:14 UTC 2004

Ted wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to Linux and currently using rpm with FC1.  My questions
> are about using both yum and rpm for package management on a single
> system:
>
> 1. If I use yum to install package X, will rpm recognize package X is
> now installed?
>
> 2. Will rpm be able to update package X that was installed by yum?
>
> 3. Is it bad practice to mix yum and rpm for package management on my
> system?  In other words, if I begin using yum, does that mean I should
> stop using rpm?
>
> Many thanks,
> Ted.

Yum is only a front-end for rpm. It downloads all the needed files and
then it uses rpm to install them... So , the answers are:
1 - yes , because rpm is behind yum...
2 - yes (and yum will be able to update X package that was installed by
rpm , if there's the X package on a yum repository)
3 - no , it's not  a bad practice .. Soon you'll be using yum a lot ,
because it saves you from the headache of trying to find the
dependencies for a given package. Just run yum install X and it'll do
the job. I use yum , apt and rpm all day and I assure you that there's
no problems using (yum and rpm) or (yum , apt and rpm) or (apt and rpm)
[the brackets are only for clarity... programming vices.. ;) ]

--
Pedro Macedo