Crashing tips?

Youssef Makki bugzilla at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 5 07:17:31 UTC 2004

First thing I did before installing Fedora was read the #fedora faq on
freenode, which pointed me to a few known issues like with 3com cards
and kudzu. Next thing I did was spend some time on bugzilla regarding
bugs that could be specific or applicable in my case.

When I decided I wanted to 'learn' Linux a couple of years ago, I
reinstalled Redhat 7.2 on my gateway at home, and chose no extra
packages whatsoever, plain simple ~500mb install. From that point on,
anytime I'd need something I'd have to install the appropriate package
and figure out how it works. I think that's what helped me most, and I
highly recommend doing that on a pc you will need regularly; that'll
push you to fix it. Learn vi and you can do anything from that point on.
Avoid gui configuration tools for now, if you plan on migrating quite a
few PCs to Linux, that means remote administration, which in turn means
vi and ssh. Sure there's vnc and all that, but the bottom line is when I
want to restart httpd on a server, I'm not gonna start a vnc session for
that.

This is my very humble opinion.