S.M.A.R.T. and Fedora

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sat Mar 6 04:40:50 UTC 2004

Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:

> As I already have been saved by smart , I use smartd even if it
> decreases performance. Later I'm gonna reboot on FC1 to update it and
> I'm gonna run some hdparm tests and some copy tests..
> I'll let you guys know the results as soon as I have them...
>
> --
> Pedro Macedo

I did some tests here , both under FC 1 and FC2. My motherboard (Asus
A7N8X-Deluxe) doesnt have the option to disable SMART , so I only could
test disabling smartd... As expected , the difference between the
results isn't impressive... To test , I copied a 422mb iso file from a
vfat partition on hdc to a ext3 partition on hdb and also copied a 339Mb
folder with lots of small files from a vfat partition on hdc to a ext3
partition on hdb. The test script was simply:

hdparm -Tt /dev/hdb /dev/hdc
echo
echo Iso Copy
echo
time cp /mnt/void/cd1.iso /home/temp
echo
echo Directory Copy
echo
time cp -R /mnt/void/directory /home/temp

And the results...

FC1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Smartd enabled:
[root at tirael root]# bash script

/dev/hdb:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1272 MB in  2.00 seconds = 636.00 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  122 MB in  3.02 seconds =  40.40 MB/sec

/dev/hdc:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1276 MB in  2.00 seconds = 638.00 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  124 MB in  3.00 seconds =  41.33 MB/sec

Iso Copy

real    0m18.909s
user    0m0.060s
sys     0m5.370s

Directory Copy

real    0m13.838s
user    0m0.060s
sys     0m3.370s

[root at tirael root]#

FC1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Smartd disabled:

[root at tirael root]# bash script

/dev/hdb:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1304 MB in  2.00 seconds = 652.00 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  122 MB in  3.01 seconds =  40.53 MB/sec

/dev/hdc:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1304 MB in  2.00 seconds = 652.00 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  124 MB in  3.04 seconds =  40.79 MB/sec

Iso Copy

real    0m18.924s
user    0m0.080s
sys     0m4.330s

Directory Copy

real    0m13.964s
user    0m0.070s
sys     0m3.220s

[root at tirael root]#

Fedora Core 2 Test 1 kernel 2.6.3-2.1.238
Smartd disabled

[root at tirael root]# bash script

/dev/hdb:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1188 MB in  2.00 seconds = 594.00 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  122 MB in  3.02 seconds =  40.40 MB/sec

/dev/hdc:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1160 MB in  2.00 seconds = 580.00 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  120 MB in  3.02 seconds =  39.74 MB/sec

Iso Copy

real    0m20.549s
user    0m0.300s
sys     0m7.450s

Directory Copy

real    0m19.326s
user    0m0.280s
sys     0m6.390s

[root at tirael root]#

Fedora Core 2 Test 1 kernel 2.6.3-2.1.238
Smartd enabled

[root at tirael root]# bash script

/dev/hdb:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1172 MB in  2.00 seconds = 586.00 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  120 MB in  3.02 seconds =  39.74 MB/sec

/dev/hdc:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1156 MB in  2.00 seconds = 578.00 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  118 MB in  3.04 seconds =  38.82 MB/sec

Iso Copy

real    0m20.797s
user    0m0.270s
sys     0m7.780s