[ANNOUNCE] New mailing list: fedora-selinux

Roger Beever roger2 at rogernet.net
Sat Mar 6 23:35:05 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 23:03, Jeff Vian wrote:
> Andrew Robinson wrote:
>
> --snip--
>
> > Do you realize that in the first link, nowhere does it define what
> > SELinux is? So if not for the second link, I would still be ignorant.
> >
> > I'm going off topic here. This is a pet peeve of mine. Someone will
> > post an annoucement of an application or package on a mailing list or
> > USENET news group. The announcement will describe in great detail what
> > has been done to the software since the last release. However, the
> > announcement will never reveal what the software does in the first place.
> >
> > OK, there's my mini-rant for the day...:)
>
> IMHO most people who are posting expect the readers to be 1) at least
> marginally familiar with current event/news/project on the internet and
> 2) prepared to investigate terms and projects they are unfamiliar with.
>
> a very quick search on google for the  terms "selinux +linux +kernel"
> yeilded over 26500 results and the first was  www.nsa.gov/selinux/ .
>
> I, for one, do not expect anyone to fill in background for an
> announcement post when all the background is easily found, and in much
> greater detail than any one post could possible contain.
>

> Please educate yourself, then ask questions about topics where the fine
> details are not available.  Do not rant because someone else has failed
> to feed you with a spoon.

Valid points but since the announcer went to the trouble of including
a link to subscribe to the list. An info link would not have been that
hard to add as well.
Think of it as good ecology.
One person gets the link and posts it in the announce, against 300
Google and then go to the same link.
I for one was not that interested in finding out exactly what SELinux
was at that precise moment but when a link was posted I had a look and
now I know for when I need to learn more.
Not everyone has yet worked out how to use a search engine and those who
have learnt a different engine might not instantly understand that
Googeling is simply using the search engine provided by an organisation
who call themselves "Google"
Regards Roger