[Hand Holding] was [ANNOUNCE] New mailing list: fedora-selinux

John Lagrue admin at moraystudio.com
Sun Mar 7 12:34:45 UTC 2004

Aaron Matteson wrote:
> Steve Bergman became daring and sent these 1.2K bytes,
>
>>Jeff Vian wrote:
>>

>>>Please educate yourself, then ask questions about topics where the
>>>fine details are not available.  Do not rant because someone else has
>>>failed to feed you with a spoon.
>>

>>Actually, I think Andrew has a point.  We who have been following Linux
>>since the early to mid 90's and subscribe to LKML and read LinuxToday,
>>LWN, and kerneltraffic on a daily basis do an awful lot of *expecting*
>>of newer Linux users to know an awful lot of things.  This is not
>>fedora-devel-list.  This is not fedora-test-list.  This is fedora-list.
>>Fedora is the closest thing to a home desktop Linux that RedHat has and
>>this is the list for the latest stable version.  I would *expect* that a
>>lot of newer Linux users would read it.  I hope they do anyway.  We
>>really need to drop this elitism thing.  We can't afford it anymore.
>>
>>To be clear, I'm not specifically criticizing the selinux announcement.
>>I'm just saying that in the months and years to come, it is in the best
>>interest of Linux and open source in general to recognize that the
>>audience is changing.
>

> I agree that the linux climate is changing, pretty soon there will be a
> wizard for everything and every moron out there will be using linux and
> being a self-proclaimed guru.
>
> I think having to explain everything in every announcement is pretty
> rediculous. It should be common knowledge, even for new windows
> imagrants to use google. More and more time and energy are being spent
> on holding-the-newbies-hand in addition to changing his/her diapers for
> them.

I don't think anyone is asking for an explanation of SELinux. But all
that was required in the original post was a one-line saying "SELinux is
    security exhanced Linux: for further details see http://foo.bar"

No crime; just missing a little info for those who do not keep abreast
of all things Linux-ey

JDL