RPM packages: Athlon vs i686 vs i386

thedogfarted thedogfarted at inbox.lv
Mon Mar 8 06:25:05 UTC 2004

If you use yum there is no need to specify processor, yum will choose
the one that fits best. If you have athlon as i do then imho athlon rpms
are prefered over i686 and i686 over i386, at least that's how yum is doing.

Don Dixon wrote:
> This link explains it from a 2.6 perspective, but in the FC1 updates
> directory, there exists an kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.athlon.rpm and a
> kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.i686.rpm.  So which should be applied (keeping
> in mind what I mentioned earlier)?
>
> Don Dixon
> fedora-list_me_no_like_spam at macrologic.com
>
> Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
>
>> Don Dixon wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I recently submitted what I thought was a bug to bubzilla concerning CPU
>>> detection and FC1.  The bugzilla number is 116941 if anyone is
>>> interested in reading in detail.  The basic problem is that I have an
>>> Athlon XP 1600+ CPU, yet when I boot to the CLI, it says:
>>>
>>> Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow)
>>> Kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl on an i686
>>>
>>> This exact same hardware, until recently was running RH7.3 and it booted
>>> to the CLI identifying itself as athlon.  That was the reason I thought
>>> it was a bug.  On bugzilla, the report has been closed with:
>>>
>>> "athlon is always a i686 for the kernel"
>>>
>>> So, what I am now wondering about is updates.  I need to know which
>>> level of RPM packages to
>>> load.  For instance with kernels, would I choose
>>> kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.athlon.rpm or
>>> kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.i686.rpm?  And with glibc, do I choose