email servers

Alexandre Strube surak at casa.surak.eti.br
Tue Mar 9 13:23:51 UTC 2004

Em Qui, 2004-03-04 às 02:40, Aaron escreveu:

> But I still have no clue what I installed I gather sendmail.

There are two things you need to set up a email server on you machine.

One is the smtp server, the other one is a server to retrieve the
messages, which can be pop3 or imap, or even both.

Sendmail works, it's good, it's fast and some say today it's secure.
It's not that hard to use, but everyone will recommend you to read an
O'reilly book just for configuring it. This is not what I would expect
for a simple home mail server.

There's qmail also, which is more a "love it or hate it" than sendmail.
Both sides seems more extreme than with sendmail. There are no fedora
packages although, and it's not open source. I used it for years, not
without pain. It worked, but not that easy.

There's postfix also. It's newer than sendmail, so they may say to you
it's more secure. I don't know, as sendmail has more than 25 years, so
most sendmail bugs are fixed now. But postfix is easy to configure, open
source, well, it works. Try it (and do this AFTER trying sendmail and
qmail, to do it once).

For pop/imap servers, they all work ok.

--
Alexandre Strube <surak at surak.eti.br>