only user that can log in is root

thedogfarted thedogfarted at inbox.lv
Tue Mar 9 18:11:10 UTC 2004

I have really big problem now that asks for reinstall if i don't get a
better solution during next hour

I'm using wine to check which win games i can run in linux. For better
performance i decided to log out from gnome and run wine without window
manager. As i didn't find any way to exit gdm i started wine on next vt

startx wine commandos.exe -- :2

First i got error message form nvidia driver:

Error: Could not open /dev/nvidiactl because the permissions are too
restrictive.  Please see the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS section of
/usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for steps to correct.

README says:

  ...if your system has the file /etc/security/console.perms then you
should edit the file and remove the line that starts with "<dri>"...
Next, you will need to reset the permissions on the device files back to
their original permissions and owner.  You can do that with the
following commands:
         chmod 0666 /dev/nvidia* chown root /dev/nvidia*

And it is exactly what i did.

I wonder why there was no such error message before i tried to run wine
with seperate xserver.

Now wine + commandos.exe worked fine, with no errors (although wine's
output is allways full with fixme msgs). When i wanted log in, gdm said
that there already is X server running on :0, it will try next one

And so on and on to the next display. First i thought it is gdm/x issue,
tried first to restart, then kill gdm, reboot. I wasn't able to log in
via terminal too - i entered username and password and got the same
login prompt. Threre's a following message in /var/log/messages:

Mar  9 20:03:26 yarrow login(pam_unix)[4278]: session opened for user
speles by LOGIN(uid=0)
Mar  9 20:03:26 yarrow init: open(/dev/pts/0): No such file or directory

Accidentaly i figured out that root is the only user able to log in -
both in x and terminal. I created new user, thought maybe something is
wrong with configuration files. I wasn't able to log in with the new
username too.

I thought it could be pam issue, because i edited it's config files, so
i reinstalled pam (with rpm -ivh --force). Now the files are old ones,
but still the only user that is able to log in is root.

Probably i'll have to reinstall the whole system... again :( (at least
now i know that previous time i could get though by reinstalling only
nvidia driver and turn back prelinking)