vsftpd not stopping

Jonathan Gardner jgardner at jonathangardner.net
Tue Mar 9 19:36:17 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 08:58 am, Austin Isler wrote:
> Michael Gargiullo wrote:
> >On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 11:35, Austin Isler wrote:
> >>I am trying to start up a ftp server using vsftpd. I can start vsftpd
> >> no problem. When I do  "netstat -a | grep ftp" I get nothing, which
> >> leads me to believe vsftpd is not running. xinetd is up and running. I
> >> checked the services config tool and it also states that vsftpd is
> >> dead.
> >>
> >>[root at home aisler]# /sbin/service vsftpd start
> >>Starting vsftpd for vsftpd:                                [  OK  ]
> >>[root at home aisler]# /sbin/service vsftpd stop
> >>Shutting down vsftpd:                                      [FAILED]
> >>
> >>Has anyone had this problem if so, any assistance would be appreciated.
> >>
> >>Austin
> >
> >Basiclly it means it's not running when you try to stop it.
> >
> :) umm I did a little digging in my vsftpd.conf file. Apparently I
>
> uncommented things I shouldnt have. I commented them back and now it
> works. :) Silly how a couple lil comment errors can mess everything up.

In the future, if you try to start a service and it won't start, look at the
error logs. In this case, I think /var/log/vsftpd is the error log for this
program. If you can't find an error log, then poke around the configuration
file to try and find it. If you still can't find it, try looking in the
system error log in /var/log/messages.

A good command to watch an error log is "tail -f <error log>". Hit CTRL-C to
stop watching the log.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner at jonathangardner.net