MS Intellimice optical 'shutting down' anyone?

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Wed Mar 10 13:49:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:55:21 +1000
Scott Burns <scott at mirrabooka.com> wrote:

> Andre Costa wrote:
>

> >It could of course be a hardware (mouse) problem, but I would like to
> >know if anyone had any similar experience -- or has any black-magic
> >procedure to make X "re-probe" the mouse...
> >
> Try Ctrl-Alt-F1 then Ctrl-Alt-F7
>
> I use this on our old KVM switch to revive the mouse after swapping
> terminals.  I belive the "magic" part is that mouse control gets
> swapped from X through to gpm then back to X, both of which
> reinitialise the mouse.

Thks, Scott, this sounds like a nice workaround. I will try it next time
mouse dies. However, gpm is disabled here -- I thought it could have
something to do with this problem. I guess this (switching back and
forth from console) won't work without gpm, right? Anyway, I will try
starting up gpm when I switch to console.

As I said on a previous post, I am now trying XFree's own "nv" driver
instead of NVidia's, to try to narrow down the cause of the problem.
Let's see what happens...

Best,

Andre

--