How to Setup a Secure Guest Account [was] Password-protecting fedora.

Matt Morgan matt.morgan at brooklynmuseum.org
Wed Mar 10 15:13:19 UTC 2004

You also, for a shared login like that, should use a browser in a kiosk
mode that doesn't allow changes to settings, history, etc. Unless you
want to clean it up occasionally. Opera has a very good kiosk mode.
Mozilla/Firefox has a lot of potential, but the kiosk modes I know about
aren't there yet. When we do this at work (a big museum) it's usually
for web-connected kiosk stations that we can't have porn, etc., popping
up on. Also we don't want to fix them all the time. But at the moment we
use MS Windows stations with severely restricted system policies for
this, we haven't done a linux one yet.

Another way to do something similar is to make everything in the home
directory readable only, not writable, but that will probably lead to a
lot of errors here and there that may be hard to track down and fix.

Years ago I used to use rsh (restricted shell) for vendors uploading
stuff to a unix server via modem. Basically upon login on that terminal
(ttys0 or whatever) it would auto-login to an account under /bin/rsh,
and immediately start a little upload app that, upon exit, logged them
off. And rsh prevented things like hitting '!' to get a shell prompt.
But I have no clue how to use it anymore, or how well it would work with
a GUI. It's probably worth looking into.

The holy grail is the terminal server idea (Windows Terminal Server,
Citrix, LTSP), but that's more effort probably than the posters here are
interested in. It gives you the absolute most control over what logins
can do.