serial util?

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Wed Mar 10 19:51:37 UTC 2004

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:
>

>>fred smith wrote:

>>>When have we ever been without it? One could always go to the kermit
>>>web site and grab the source for c-kermit, which has pretty much always
>>>built on Linux. (and nearly every other unix-like box, too!)
>>
>>There was a period of time that (to my knowledge) it just vanished from
>>Redhat.  I tried keeping up with compiling it for a little while, but
>>then I had a number of years during which I didn't need it. When I did
>>need it again, I couldn't find it and all the docs said to use minicom,
>>so I (erroneously, it appears) wrote it off and consigned myself to minicom.
>>
>>Suns have (and still do) use 'tip' instead.
>

> $ whichcd kermit
> You appear to be running Fedora Core 1.
> I'll search for rpms for that version.
> Searching for kermit...
>
> CD-3:ckermit-8.0.209-4.i386.rpm
> SOURCE-CD-3:ckermit-8.0.209-4.src.rpm

Yes, I know that now (it's even installed), but it wasn't to my
knowledge part of RH7 or RH8.  It looks like it got added in RH9, but
without some announcement (or carefully reading through the entire
package list in my 'copious spare time') it went unnoticed (by me at
least) until now.

I wanted to make a point of it because
1) I find minicom slightly frustrating to use
2) Others may have also not known of it's return