Netstat -nr Problem

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Thu Mar 11 01:16:11 UTC 2004

Bevan C. Bennett wrote:

> I configure my gateway in the following manner, and have never had a
> problem with sub-interfaces picking it up multiple times:
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network
> ----------------------
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=saladin
> GATEWAY=10.0.0.254
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*
> NO GATEWAY entry
>
> IMO this is more technically correct, as the default gateway is a
> system-wide setting, not an interface-dependant setting.

It is a system-wide setting in concept, although the default gateway
route is useless without an interface that includes its subnet, thus in
practice if the interface is down the default gateway route is not
functional either.  So IMO neither is more technically correct.  If
there were multiple interfaces on the same subnet, then I could see the
GATEWAY approach as more appropriate.

FYI - I have had problems on older RH releases with multiple routes
added due to subinterfaces when configured as you suggest above.  But I
haven't tried it recently.

If one does use your approach, they may still find the
route-<interface_name> file mechanism useful to configure other routes
which are relevant to the interface and not its subinterfaces.

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021