Downgrading from RHEL

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 11 04:47:27 UTC 2004

Hi Tom,

 --- Tom Ryan <tomryan at camlaw.rutgers.edu> wrote: > as
a followup, this info is available at the
> following rh website
>
> http://www.redhat.com/licenses/
>
> of course, IANAL, but it seems pretty clear to me :)
>
> Tom
>
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Tom Ryan wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Michael Mansour wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Andre,
> >
> > > It's my understanding (after attending a Red Hat
> > > seminar on the issue) that RHEL 3 is free
> software and
> > > always will be, what you're paying for is the
> support.
> > > So technically speaking, you can run RHEL on as
> many
> > > servers as you want, fully licensed, but the
> support
> > > that you pay for is what provides you with the
> > > patches.
> > >
> > > So again it's my understanding (correct me if
> I'm
> > > wrong please), you can run RHEL on as many
> servers as
> > > you want, and only pay for one subscription to
> grab
> > > the patches you need, or, if you choose not to
> renew a
> > > subscription, grab the patches you need from
> someone
> > > who lets you.
> >
> > I think if you read the TOS, you will see that it
> prohibits this. There's
> > nothing to stop you from downloading the SRPMS,
> compiling them and
> > setting up your own system based on the resultant
> RPMS, but, downloading
> > them from RHN through a service agreement on one
> machine and then
> > installing them on another, is a no no..
> >
> > I don't have the exact site handy, but I'm sure a
> 5 minute look at
> > www.redhat.com would have answered this question
> correctly :)

I find this bit interesting:

The RHN Code and any physical media containing the RHN
Code and all intellectual property rights contained
therein, and all copies thereof made by Customer (if
authorized by Red Hat) are the exclusive property of
Red Hat and a valuable trade secret of Red Hat. Upon
termination of the subscription, Customer immediately
will destroy all copies of the RHN Code in its
possession (including any RHN Code installed on the
RHN Servers). The RHN Code (and any media containing
the RHN Code) is the confidential property of Red Hat
and Customer shall not use or disclose any information
regarding the RHN Code, except as permitted by this
Agreement. If Red Hat provides the RHN Server to
Customer, Customer must promptly return such hardware
to Red Hat upon termination of this Agreement. If
Customer subscribes to Satellite with an embedded
database, then Customer is also subject to the terms
set forth at
www.redhat.com/licenses/satellite_embedded.html.
*****

Which basically says that after your subscription
ends, you must delete the RHN Code from your systems.

What exactly is the RHN code? the way I'm interpreting
this is the RHN code being the patches that are
downloaded, and not the RHEL 3 OS (the OS seems
covered under Appendix 1).

??

Michael.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com