USB Pen Drive Crisis

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Mar 12 15:55:36 UTC 2004

Wolfgang wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 01:08, Adam Voigt wrote:
>

> [snip]
>
> I agree, but the documentation (For the device mentioned), ran through
> the procedure, of putting on a partition etc (And it worked by the book,
> once I got it formatted correctly). The main problem was to get Linux to
> mount it in the first place.
>
> Wolf

I received a USB stick yesterday for work and I was working with it
and trying to get it to mount.  It was being recognized under
/dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1.  At first I could mount it under /dev/sdb1
with RW access.  Later while trying to get it to automount using
autofs, it changed to only /dev/sda1 with no mention of /dev/sdb in
any log file.  This threw me for a loop for a couple of hours.

I feel that the problem for device driver was due to a reboot
(accidently unmounted my home directories using automount).  I had a
usb camera connected to the computer earlier and it used /dev/sda1.

I am going to work with this some more.  BTW I did have automounting
working when I left work yesterday.

--
Robin Laing