FC1 2 3 RH9 10 MDK 6 7 8 9

Aaron Matteson fedora at cryptosystem.us
Sun Mar 14 04:48:27 UTC 2004

Chadley Wilson became daring and sent these 1.4K bytes,
> On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 06:28, Homer wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 22:21, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> >
> > > Look I am not trying to be snotty :-> I just cant believe that everthing
> > > that is available for linux must have dependencies, If the M$ freaks can
> > > get programs to install with install shields then why cant we do it in
> > > Linux. Thats all.
> > > Chad
> >
> > 	Tis easy:
> >
> > sudo yum install <appname>
> >
> > 	Finds all the dependencies and installs everything in one command... If
> > the place your getting them isn't yum enabled, ask them to consider it.
> >
> > --
> > Homer Parker			/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
> > BOFH for homershut.net		\ / No HTML/RTF in email
> > http://www.homershut.net	 x  No Word docs in email
> > telnet://bbs.homershut.net	/ \ Respect for open standards
> >
> > "Bill Gates reports on security progress made and the challenges ahead."
> > -- Microsoft's Homepage, on the day an SQL Server bug crippled large
> >    sections of the Internet.
> >
> Well I have been trying for the past three weeks every mirro on the
> planet and every sugestion I have been give on this list and glug yum,
> up2date and apt dont work they all hang. Yes Iam behing a firewall and a
> proxy, I have a username and password for the proxy and the firewall
> [same usename and pass] but nothing works.

It is a lot easier for people to help you if you simply include:
*What is the exact problem?
*What is the text of the error?
*What have you tried to resolve the issue?
*We do not want to hear what you think the problem is, just give us some
useful information. "It is not working" is not good enouph.

Now, you are having a problem with apt and yum. What are the symptoms? I
see you are behind an obviously restrictive firewall and proxy. Are you
not able to connect to the repositories? Little more info is preferable.

The structures of linux and the rest of the world Vs. MS are different,
Linux is designed to be modular, this means that there will be
inevitable dependancies on other applications and libraries. Same can be
true with windows but to a much much lesser degree. If you do not want
the extent of the dependancies i suggest you create your own distro from
scratch or use something like Slackware or LFS and build from a minimal
installation.

Good day.

--
  0 1 0  Aaron M Matteson - http://cryptosystem.us
  0 0 1  Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write,