Problems with Lucent Wavelan (Orinoco) card on laptop

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 14 06:28:26 UTC 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Mats Brorsson wrote:

> I have problems getting Fedora core 1 to activate my wireless LAN adapter.
> It's a Lucent Wavelan Silver, now known as Orinoco Silver, card. In bets
> case, nothing really happens, in most cases it hangs the system totally. My
> machine is a Packard Bell EasyNote M5 laptop.
>
> I'm new to Linux and don't really know where to start looking for a
> solution.
>
> Any ideas on how to solve this are appreciated.

Perhaps you have some hardware issues - either with the card - or with
pcmcia?

You could also try using 'wvlan_cs' driver instead of the default
'orinoco_cs' driver.  This can be done by chaging the entry in
/etc/pcmcia/config as:

card "Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter"
  version "Lucent Technologies", "WaveLAN/IEEE"
  #bind "orinoco_cs"
  bind "wvlan_cs"

Do you swap in other pcmcia network cards? There could be entries in
/etc/modules.conf such as "alias eth0 driver" . Such entries could
cause wrong driver to get loaded when the lucent card is inserted
[verifyable by '/sbin/lsmod']. If so, I'll recommend removing these
entries - and also 'HWADDR' binding in

I've used this card for a very long time (I still have it - but its
not my primary card)

Satish