Simultanous Sounds?

Mark Limburg mlimburg at users.on.net
Mon Mar 15 13:52:10 UTC 2004

Howdy,

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 00:13, Wolfgang wrote:
> > Any ideas on how to have two (or more) applications be able to play
> > sounds at the same time?  When I have XMMS playing Internet radio, I
> > can't get system sounds, effects in Frozen Bubble or UT/Q3A, etc.  I've
> > tried other variations also .. all with no success.  Another example
> > I've seen is my 'new mail' sound has rung out just as I'm starting to
> > play Chromium, and Chromium didn't have any sound.  I quit it, started
> > it again, and it was there.
> >
> > What sound daemon should I be using, esound, OSS, ALSA .. and how do I
> > set these up?  And links to web pages to help?

> What Sound card are you using???
>
> I have a Creative Audigy, and it works fine for me. I hear all the
> system sounds, even when I play UT2K4-Demo etc. It may be, that the
> sound card is limited in the number of simultaneous sounds it can
> produce (or it's an old 16Bit card). The Audigy can play 32 sounds at
> once.

Running the onboard sound from an ASUS nForce2 mobo.  Very very nice
sound on the XP side of the fence ... so I doubt that's the specific
issue.

I have managed to get *some* of it working .. I've configured XMMS to
use esd and now it's playing nice.  Well, mostly .. if I run XMMS and
play Frozen Bubble, then it's all good .. if I run XMMS and play UT (not
UT2004 mind), then it's back to a silent game.

.mwl