FC1 2 3 RH9 10 MDK 6 7 8 9

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Mon Mar 15 16:32:21 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 18:24, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am So, den 14.03.2004 schrieb Chadley Wilson um 06:10:
>
> > Ok Ok!
> > I am irritable right now I still cant get this up2date story working, I
> > struggle with command line stuff, I am by no means a programmer. I would
> > like to get my linux system to do simple things, at least simple to me.
> >
> > Here is my list of snags, lets see if we can sort them out one by one.
> >
> > 1. Up2date hangs when reading headers
>
> This has an own thread "Kernel Upgrade Help needed!"
>
> Did you try setting the proxy for up2date inside the source file with
> "httpProxy=proxyhost.domain.tld:3128 _and_ exporting
> "http_proxy=proxyhost.domain.tld:3128", as well with "export
> HTTP_PROXY=$http_proxy" (exporting proxy_user and proxy_passwd as well)?

Yes still no luck!
> > 2. My kernel needs upgrading to install a USB printer.
>
> Why does an USB printer need a different kernel? Can you be specific:
> which model, which driver required, for what reason kernel exchange?

The driver provided by lexmark is for kernel 2.6.xx
> > 3. I have a USB modem that is provided with a Linux driver but I also
> > need to upgrade my kernel for that

> Which USB modem? Are you sure there are no FC1 compiled drivers already
> available i.e. throug Dag Wieer's repository? Even if not, you in
> certainly most cases you do not need to rebuild the whole kernel but
> only need to have the fitting kernel source installed to build the
> device driver module.

So how does this work what can I read?

> > 4. I would like to install a DJ Mixer for XMMS or a media library so
> > that I can search for a song in my digital audio list and queue it in
> > the main playlist of XMMS
>
> http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/ has quite a lot of
> audio applications compiled for FC1. Nothing there for you?
>
> > 5. I need to install some rave special effect software that requires QT
> > 1.4. I am busy compiling [its been going since 3am]
>
> That application need qt version 1.4? Wow, what an old peace of software
> must that be. Certainly from last century (1998 or so).
Thats the point the software is great now I have to downgrade to compile
and upgrade back to Qt-3.2.3 when finished.

> > 5. I need to be able to rip mp3s @ 196kbit sample rate in ten minutes. I
> > normally rip peoples CDs at gigs straight to the hard drive while they
> > wait. this prevents CDs disappearing and getting damaged, and even
> > mixed. Parties get quite wild after everyones had a few you know.
>
> And what is the problem with that?
It takes over an hour per cd on a P4 2.4 HT and 512mb DDR/400 Ram with a
56X cdrom.
I need speed to satisfy customers who have bought these PCs from me.