FC1 2 3 RH9 10 MDK 6 7 8 9

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Mon Mar 15 16:37:19 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 18:14, Ben Steeves wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 12:05, Chadley Wilson wrote:
>
> > But the question would be is how do know what the dependencies are I
> > always have to find out the hard way which means trial for half an hour
> > then error for three days then glory the app works.
> > Is there no easy way.
>
> Yes there is -- it's called Yum and/or up2date.  They are dependency
> managers, and they handle the RPM crap for you -- if you work with them
> and use channels to install your software.  If you go in the back door
> with apps compiled from source or use "foreign" RPMS that don't come
> from any channel, you're going to run into problems.
>
> --
> Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
>  The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
>    against HTML e-mail          X                GPG ID: 0xB3EBF1D9
> http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves

Which brings us back to the original problem of being behind a firewall
and a proxy. None of them work! and I have tried a mountain of things
and  they still hang when fetching headers. I am getting annoyed having
to repeat myself on this topic there is another thread of mails where I
am trying to solve this.
Anyway thanks for your input :-}

Chad