ALSA!

Tom Needs a Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 15 23:54:42 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 09:24:28PM +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mo, den 15.03.2004 schrieb Nelson Guedes Paulo Junior um 19:21:
> >
> > I've noticied that I don't have ALSA instaled on my Fedora box.

> No, ALSA is not part of FC1. But you can get it from fedora.us or
> freshrpms.net. The reason why it is not with FC1 is simply that up to
> kernel 2.4 OSS was the default sound system within the kernel.
>
> FC2 will have ALSA, as kernel 2.6 has ALSA as sound system by default.

For those that keep a check list for the future  updating to FC2
the switch from oss to alsa will be interesting.

Currently the alsa default volumes are zero so you need "aumix" or
"alsamixer" to change settings from zero -- this is key.  Then your
"xmms" or other sound player will need to have its input and output
configurations adjusted to use alsa (unless you replace alsa ;-))

For those in the clean install for updates camp this is a tick
in their favor.  For those that update in place it is one detail
to clean up (I am an update in place type of guy...)

Always look for possibly important rpm updated config files any time
you run "yum" or "up2date"!  Do it now...!!!

	 # locate rpmnew | grep rpmnew$
	 # locate rpmsave| grep rpmsave$

Tools like "diff", "vim -R -d fileA FileB" and more can help you
see what changed.  Reading the man pages can help you decide what
to do for each.
Example:
	vim -R -d /etc/ntp.conf.rpmnew /etc/ntp.conf

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l