installing kernel 2.6.4 on (not over) 2.4

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Mar 16 01:29:21 UTC 2004

Michal Zeravik wrote:

> Well, rpm 2.6. is installed with deps solved. I've rebuild nvidia glx
> video driver
> but X hangs my computer. There were some mouse and keyb failures.
> Any ideas?

You might need to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config and change the reference
to "/dev/psaux" to "/dev/input/mice"

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux" # change this to
"/dev/input/mice" for later versions of the 2.6 kernel.

If you are running both the 2.4 and the 2.6 kernel for different
reasons. You will either have to edit the XF86Config file when changing
from one kernel to the other version or use a symlink from "/dev/mouse"
to point to "/dev/psaux" for the 2.4 kernel and to "/dev/input/mice" for
the 2.6 kernel.

PITA, but the later kernels are built without /dev/psaux.

Jim