Using java in FC1(with eclipse)-help needed

Mario St-Gelais legrimpeur at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 16 19:23:31 UTC 2004

Kaustubh Ghosh wrote:

>I am quite novice towards java programming in linux.To start with I installed
>j2re1.4.2_03 and also j2sdk1.4.2_04 in FC1(Both from java.sin.com).Now
>peculiar problems arise.
>When I type "java -version" it gives 1.3.1(
>When I type "/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin/java -version" it gives 1.4.2_04.
>Anyway  I  can compile any .java  file with javac.
>But when I try to run it with java(any of the above) the gui would not
>come.(Hello World executes perfectly with System.out.println as also other
>non-gui programs).
>
>I also installed eclipse sdk.It created a directory "eclipse" under /opt.When
>I cycled to the directory and typed "eclipse" I got messages
>"
>warning:cannot determine -os type
>warning:cannot determine -ws type.
>warning:cannot determine -arch type.
>warning:cannot determine -showsplash type.
>"
>After a while it gives an error(in a gui):
>"Error:Java (VM) had to be shut down:Exit Code=1
>/usr/bin/java
>-cp /opt/eclipse/startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main
>-os linux
>-ws gtk
>-arch x86
>-showsplash /opt/eclipse/eclipse_showsplash 600
>"
>
>Cannot make any head or tail of it.
>I also tried to install Netbeans developer using "nbdx2_21.class" file by
>giving command "java nbdx2_21".What I got was:
>"Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: nbdx2_21"
>
>Can I get any help?Thanks in advance.

You might have 2 versions of java installed...  Have you set environment
variables? (JAVA_HOME).  What do you get when you do "echo $JAVA_HOME"?
Also, note that when you install j2sdk, jre comes with it.  But I dont't
think that this is the problem.

For the second part, not sure...

--
Mario St-Gelais