Random Network Droping, advice needed

Jim Radford jim at grubber.org
Tue Mar 16 19:35:56 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I've got a couple of problems that I'm not 100% sure are related. I'm after
some advice about how to increase the type of information I can log. Plus
anything else that provides a clue ;)

Problem 1:

I've got an Athlon 1800XP that is randomly losing it's network connection to
the Internet. This started on the 11th March as far as I can recall. The
trouble is, I'm seeing nothing in 'messages' to say the network has gone away
- but I'm unable to ping my router - gaim times out - irc sessions drop and
worse of all, I time out of NWN servers :( So I'm pretty sure my network has
gone.

To make sure it wasn't my ADSL/router that was the issue, I was convinced it
was. I've had my router replaced by BT and they've run tests/replaced cards
at the exchange twice now. In fact they're coming back to my house on
Thursday to run some more tests because they don't know what the problem is.
So I'm starting to think it's my setup.

When the network goes - it only last for roughly 3-5 mins, then it all comes
back.

How can I gather evidence that it's my machine that's the problem?

FYI:  Kernel = 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl

Problem 2:

This is with a Laptop, my work machine - also running Fedora. This machine
also loses it's network - but this is happening every half hour, give or take
a minute. The extra thing with this is, the whole machine locks up for the
few mins that it's happening. Again, nothing appears in the logs - the CPU
doesn't sky rocket or anything that I'd expect.

FYI: Kernel = 2.4.22-ac4-laptop1  (I've patched this with the help of a friend
to include battery monitors, iirc - it's been using this kernel since
September)

Both machines have been running Fedora without issue since FC1 was released.
Plus both machines have only been having problems for a couple of weeks.

Any advice?
--
Jim Radford
   "If at first you don't succeed - change the DC"