localhost Connection Refused.

Vince Thompson VThompson at SomeoneKnows.com
Tue Mar 16 20:09:39 UTC 2004

I have two computers that I loaded Fedora on. I am trying to get the web
browser to show the localhost but keep getting the Connection Refused
message on both machines.

If I use http://localhost or http://127.0.0.1 I get the connection refused.
If I use Telnet to connect I get the connection refused message too.
If I try rlogin I get the connection refused message.
I was trying to get Samba and Swat working so http://localhost:901 was one
of the first addresses I tried and got the connection refused message.

I am able to connect to the machines with ssh and from a Windows machine
using PuTTY.

The desktop machine has the following in its hosts file:

# that require network functionality will vail.
127.0.0.1        hpvli8ux            localhost.localdomain         localhost
192.168.1.12   vetts

I have the firewall turned off.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

I've tried google searches but haven't found a solution yet. Also, is there
a way to search the archives for this maillist?