File system backup scripts or utils

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Wed Mar 17 02:33:57 UTC 2004

WipeOut wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of some good file system backup scripts or
> utilities?? (I don't mean like tar or cpio.. read on..)
>
> Specifically I am looking for some way to backup remote systems
> (probably using rsync over ssh is the best?) but I don't simply want a
> mirrored copy..
>
> I want to have a seperate directory created each day with the backed
> up files in.. Also I want files that have not changed to be symlinked
> to the previous version of the file so that I don't need ten times the
> disk space of the original source on the backup system and don't have
> to transfer the entire file set over the network to the backup system
> only the changed files..
>
> This to me would be a very efficent way to have a backup system that
> has the ability to have an archive history but doen not need masses of
> storage space..
>
> Thanks for any thoughts..

You can try amanda. If it is configured not to have a tape device , you
can have all the backups on a directory you set . Each daily backup will
be placed on a directory which has its name based on the date of the
backup. It has support for smb backups and backups on linux machines (I
havent tested on BSD or Unix machines yet).

Now you just have to see the packages and see which fits best your
needs.. For me , it was amanda , because this way I didnt have to
control the backup cicle like I used to (having a calendar with
pre-determined dump levels and lots of scripts) ... Everyday I just have
to read my e-mail and see what tapes that Amanda wants...

--
Pedro Macedo