see replacement monitor

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Wed Mar 17 11:21:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 02:03, fe dora wrote:
> How do I get Fedora to see replacement monitor?
>
> This evening my Mitsubishi 17FS monitor expired. The
> only temp monitor I have is a Packard Bell Model
> PB2160
>
> On boot, everything runs OK, I see the normal script
> as Fedora loads, and just when normally the gui loads,
> the screen blacks out, while the machine runs fine. As
> I imagine the logon and password prompt (but cannot
> see at this point) I can type in name / pwd, and hear
> the machine activity, as it normally would.
>
> Q: How can I force the machine (Fedora-core 1) to
> recognize the replacement monitor?
<snip>
I found the easiest way of doing this would be to do the following.

Boot up the machine, at the grub option (assuming you use grub),
highlight the kernel press 'a'.

Type single.

when the machine boots, remove the /etc/X11/XF86Config.

telinit 5.

When X tries to start, it will see there is not config file and will
start the redhat-config-xfree86 doo hicky straight away.

Doug