Try Bittorrent (was Plans for DVD-ROM image?)

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Mar 17 16:19:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, John Reiser wrote:

> > Have you tried bittorrent? That deals nicely with slowdowns/corrupt
> > files etc.
>
> > BTW Fedora Core 2 (test) is currently running @ 4 CDs
>
> And therein lies an inconvenience with bittorrent.  The more common installs
> (Personal Desktop, Software Development Workstation) require only the first
> 2 or 3 CD images.  Yet most torrents consist of all the images in a single
> "bag", and it is not possible to rely on partial results being complete.
> Stopping the download in the middle does not work, you must wait until
> it is 100% finished before using any piece of it.

Yeah my desire to make the current installer more realiable is really
about minimizing bandwidth on the installer side by only grabbing the
packages you requested in the install not grabbing the whole thing and
then installing only some ofthem. The current network isntaller is pretty
good about this it's just not terribly fault tollerant.

joelja

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu