Plans for DVD-ROM image?

David Nedrow listbox at nedron.net
Wed Mar 17 16:38:19 UTC 2004

On Mar 17, 2004, at 08:47, Ben Steeves wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 07:26, Nigel Wade wrote:
>

> In an earlier conversation on this subject, someone suggested having
> only a DVD image, and having a tool to break it into CD images, rather
> than having both.  It's the opposite of the "download all the CDs and
> use a tool to make a DVD image" routine that people are currently
> using.

This sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

> I'd take it a step further: why not have a client-side tool for
> downloading new releases that let you choose (similar to the way
> Anaconda lets you choose) what portions you want to download, so you
> could download build your own custom CD set.  It would allow people
> with
> limited bandwidth or needs to download a single CD with the 'core' (pun
> intended) packages they need, and allow those of us with bandwidth and
> wish for DVD images to download everything.

Ben, I know you're brainstorming, but I don't see how this helps the
person who simply wants to download a single installation image. What
you suggest would be fine for people like us (reasonably skilled
technical people), but isn't so hot for the "uninitiated" or the person
I mentioned earlier who just wants to download an image and go.

-David