Updating VSFTPD from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1.

George Lemos listreader at lemosnet.com
Wed Mar 17 17:03:33 UTC 2004

I'm working on learning VSFTPD and am setting it up on a fedora fc1 box. The
system currently, from the original install, has version 1.2.0. At least
that is what the folder says in /usr/share/doc/vsftpd-1.2.0.

Bare with me as I am green in Linux but learning every day. If I download
vsftpd-1.2.0-5.i386.rpm and enter the command:

rpm -ihv vsftpd-1.2.0-5.i386.rpm

Can I assume it is going to install everything where it should go and leave
me with the latest version of VSFTPD? OR, do I need to do some form of clean
up/uninstall on the system first with rpm -e. Should I use the switch -Uhv
to just upgrade it? What is the *best practice* in this scenario.

Finally (thus far) in the INSTALL readme file there was a line that stated:

"edit "builddefs.h" to handle compile-time settings (tcp_wrappers build,
etc)" -What is this? compile-time settings?? Huh? -What do I need to look
up/read in order to know what to do with this? Or can I just ignore it?

I am sure I may come across more questions when I get to configuring.

Thanks!

/g