Updating VSFTPD from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1.

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Thu Mar 18 02:42:25 UTC 2004

George Lemos wrote:

> After I ran the command: rpm -qa "*ftp*" the following results were
> displayed.
>

> lftp-2.6.10-1
> ftp-0.17-18
> vsftpd-1.2.0-5
> gftp-2.0.14-5
>
> Is this standard stuff for fedora? I am not familiar with any of these from
> what I have read.

[bevan at saladin ~]> rpm -qa "*ftp*"
ftp-0.17-18
gftp-2.0.14-5
lftp-2.6.10-1

ftp is the old fashioned, bare bones, ftp client.
lftp is fancier, but still command line.
gftp is graphical.
vsftpd is the 'very small ftp daemon', a good choice if you need to run
a small ftp server.

> What in your opionion is the proper way to kill a vsftpd process when using
> xinetd?

'kill' is the usual way to kill any process. That said, it sounds like
you want to make sure that xinetd won't be running vsftpd for new requests.

1) Look for /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd and edit it to say something like
'disable = yes', then restart xinetd ('service xinetd restart')

2) If you aren't running other services through xinetd, just turn the
whole thing off: 'chkconfig xinetd off; service xinetd stop'