Updating VSFTPD from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1.

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Mar 18 03:11:53 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 18.03.2004 schrieb George Lemos um 03:33:

> After I ran the command: rpm -qa "*ftp*" the following results were
> displayed.

> lftp-2.6.10-1
> ftp-0.17-18
> vsftpd-1.2.0-5
> gftp-2.0.14-5
>
> Is this standard stuff for fedora? I am not familiar with any of these from
> what I have read.

3 are FTP clients, the other one - you know about which I am speaking :)
- is an FTP server.

You need to run an FTP server whose configuration you understand. Of
course each start is difficult. Go on and read the docs. That's how all
have begun :)

> What in your opionion is the proper way to kill a vsftpd process when using
> xinetd?

You have to distinguish between daemon processes / services run as
standalone and run by (x)inetd. Standalone services you can kill or
better stop using the init script (which itself in most cases run a kill
command in stop case). Such services are then off as no process is
listening any more for requests. Services on the other side which are
controlled by the (x)inetd daemon, like your little vsftpd, have to be
stopped by telling the control daemon - (x)inetd - to stop this service.
Else if you kill a vsftpd process i.e. you are only killing an actual
client connection. As the (x)inetd still knows that he has to run the
service a new client request will get contact to the service. Thus you
have to configure xinetd and tell him for the service ftp "disable =
yes". A final "service xinetd reload" is required for telling xinetd to
newly read the changed configuration.

> Thanks
>
> /g

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 04:02:15 up 9 days, 4:21, load average: 0.49, 0.29, 0.23
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]