Updating VSFTPD from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1.

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Mar 18 15:00:56 UTC 2004

George Lemos wrote:

>>>Of course, you need to install Webmin, which doesn't come
>>>

>>with Fedora
>>

>>>Core.
>>>

>I am somewhat familiar with webmin, I have it running on my rack mount linux
>box at the office. I do need to work with that some more as it seems to be a
>great tool for easy administration, as well as learn to see what it changes
>as far as configurations. I just enjoy wrestling with the command line.
>
>Well its about 1AM and I'm about ready to make this a project to hopefully
>finish in the morning. Me latest update to follow...
>
>I understand a few things better now.. Then possibly confused myself
>further.. LOL
>
>I went into /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd and changed the line disable = YES to
>disable = NO then entered the command /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart
>This effectively shut down vsftpd.

This change (Disable = no) made it so that xinetd would listen on port
20 and start the vsftp daemon when a request comes in. It sets vsftpd so
it is managed by xinetd.   "Disable = yes" will tell xinetd to NOT
listen on that port and not control the daemon.

>Then while reading some documentation online I noticed they listed the
>command to start it via /etc/init.d/vsftpd start

This line can be used to manually start the daemon and runs vsftpd as a
standalone service.  Also done as "service vsftpd start".

>I was not aware it had this option! I didn't think the RPM put that script
>there. Did it? Maybe from the original fedora install. This STARTED the

Yes, it is put there when the vsftpd package is installed by rpm, as is
the /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd file.

>vsftpd and ALSO read my configuration file! Anonymous was OFF, and the
>banner I entered WAS displayed!

The banner and Anonymous off was due to the changes in the config file,
not in how the daemon was started.

Either way of running it, the config file is read *when* the daemon
starts (every time).  The difference is who manages the start/stop of
the daemon.

When xinetd manages it, the daemon starts when there is a request, and
stops when its connection ends.  Theoretically (and practically) this
provides a saving in resource consumption since xinetd is the only
server running and its job is to listen and start the managed service
only when it is needed.

When run standalone vsftpd never stops unless explicitly killed or the
system is shutdown.

To avoid conflict, if you have it managed by xinetd, you should  run
"chkconfig --level 2345 vsftpd off" and turn vsftpd off in all run
levels.  Also run "service vsftpd stop" if the daemon is running, then
run "service xinetd restart" so xinetd will listen on port 20 and start
the daemon when needed.

>Hopefully in the morning with a fresh mind and coffee I can be more
>successful in working the xinetd route and getting it to start (as it is)
>and ALSO reading the vsftpd.conf file so ANONYMOUS stays off, and the rest
>of the config is read and used!

jeff