innodb and mysqld errors

Fred Pedrotti fred at fixdot.com
Thu Mar 18 15:25:07 UTC 2004

There is something real weird with Fedora Core 1's bindery of MySQL.
It works for a while, but then it squawks about innodb needing either
parameters set or pass a skip-innodb in the config which I did but still
get a [Failed]  when I do a "service mysqld start" It is running though,
the error at start up time out error and this is in the
/var/log/mysqld_log

>>---------------/var/log/mysqld_log--------------------------->
040315 23:28:09  mysqld started
Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
skip-innodb
to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
section, for example,
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
/usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections
040315 23:43:16  /usr/libexec/mysqld: Normal shutdown

040315 23:43:16  /usr/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

040315 23:43:16  mysqld ended

040315 23:43:16  mysqld started
Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
skip-innodb
to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
section, for example,
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
/usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections
040315 23:49:57  /usr/libexec/mysqld: Normal shutdown

040315 23:49:57  /usr/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

040315 23:49:57  mysqld ended

040315 23:49:57  mysqld started
/usr/libexec/mysqld: unrecognized option `--inobdb=skip-innodb'
/usr/libexec/mysqld  Ver 3.23.58 for redhat-linux-gnu on i386
Copyright (C) 2000 MySQL AB, by Monty and others
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license
Starts the MySQL server

Usage: /usr/libexec/mysqld [OPTIONS]

It's weird that I get a Failed on start up, yet it is running. I have
duplicated this on three boxes. If I su to user mysql and run

/usr/libexec/mysqld --skip-innodb

I get a fast startup and a ready for connections output.

What could I use to append the init.d script to pass the option
--skip-innodb. It doesn't seem to be working from the config in
/etc/my.cnf as described in the error log's.

Best Fred