Minimum requirements for install? (Sorry if this is a dup)

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Mar 19 14:56:12 UTC 2004

At 23:03 3/18/2004, you wrote:
>I am trying to install FC1 on an HP pavillion 6330.  The label on the
>machine says it has 64MB ram with 11MB shared with the video.
>
>[...]
>
>I'm thinking that it could be a memory issue, as 64MB is
>mentioned in the release notes as the minimum for a text install

It sounds reasonable to assume this is a memory problem, so let's look at
it that way and see if we can make it work. Now, you *should* (in theory)
be able to install with 53MB of useful RAM, as others have had success with
that in the past. However, your odds of success will increase if you can
temporarily decrease the 11MB shared for video to, say, 4MB. As a matter of
fact, you might want to leave it there since 64MB is not very much for a
machine which uses a graphical desktop so the system will need all the RAM
it can get.

Another workaround I've used in order to set up machines with only 32MB of
RAM (which are *not* set up to use a graphical environment but as text-mode
boxen) is to add memory so that there is at least 64MB available for the
system, and then removing that additional memory once the system has been
set up and configured. Works like a charm, and I have four home/SOHO
servers running on 32MB each right now. <smile>

Let us know if you get around the problem.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com