Need help upgrading to GTK 2.4 on Fedora

sanjeevdas at yahoo.com sanjeevdas at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 20:37:37 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I am trying to upgrade to GTK 2.4 on my Fedora box. I
compiled gtk, pango, glib and atk and installed them
(--prefix=/usr). I have two problems since then:

1. On next reboot, after the graphical boot I didn't
get the login but an error message saying that the X
server was already running on display 0 and whether it
try a new display number. Choosing either yes or no
did not help and I could not get the login screen. I
switched to another console and did "startx".

How can I fix this?

2. GTK 2.4 does not seem to be installed. I still get
the old file chooser for example. Ran ldconfig. The
symlinks seem to point to the new 4.00 versions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

sanjeevdas