Duplicating a partition remotely

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 21 02:38:59 UTC 2004

Robert wrote:
> I have a hard drive containing archived stuff accumulated since Oct '99
> (RH6.0) that is beginning to get errors. I need to get that stuff copied
> to another drive in another machine. The two machines are networked, so
> copying is no problem.  The problem I'm having is finding a way to
> preserve ownership, permissions and date/time.  I've looked at rcp, ftp,
> ftpcp, ftpcopy, wget, smbclient and some others whose names escape me
> and haven't found (or have overlooked!) a way to preserve the attributes.
>
> Any suggestions?

Thanks to all who replied. I tried scp as suggested and found the
permissions to be copied across o.k., but owner & group to be changed.
I suppose that's no big deal for this particular application but I've
decided to go with tar anyhow because it will do (slowly, perhaps)
exactly what I want but more importantly because I'm already familiar
with it and comfort counts.

Thanks again.
Robert