connecting to a winxp box

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Sun Mar 21 22:48:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 00:12, Aaron wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 23:48, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 22:29, Aaron wrote:
> > > Hi all and esp Chadley.
> > >
> > > I need his shared dir on his computer.
> > > What will it be called on his computer?
> > >
> > It will be called whatecer he has called it.
> > he has it on his F partition how do I set that in my linux box? Also what do I do with Windows names with spaces?
>
> one directory he shared is F/musicshare
> the other is c/aag

To mount the share as a user you must do the following in the a
terminal:
su -
password:xxxxxx <root's passwd>

chmod +s /usr/bin/smbmnt
chmod +s /usr/bin/smbumount

This will give you access as a user but DO NOT do this to /bin/mount and
umount

Then if the security is wrong from the win side it will hang.

First check that the smb daemon is running
in a terminal as root

chkconfig smb on
service smb restart

This will make your smb always start when you boot your system and it
will restart the daemon which can help if it is hanging from your side,

The best method is again as follows:

as root in terminal do the following.
cp /etc/hosts /etc/hosts.old <this is just a backup incase you mess-up
the file>
vi /etc/hosts
press the insert key so that you can edit the file.
Use the arrow keys to navigate to the end of the last line press enter.
Dont mess-up any other line, keep to the layout.
You should have a localhost entry in there use it as an example.
heres mine

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
196.25.100.120          chadwin 	      chadwin

press esc key
then shift : <colon>
then wq press enter <w = writes file  q=quit>

Ok
What have we done we have now setup your hosts file, it like a local DNS
server.

Test the file in terminal type
[root at localhost chadley]# ping chadwin <replace with your entry>
PING chadwin (196.25.100.120) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from chadwin (196.25.100.120): icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=0.171 ms
64 bytes from chadwin (196.25.100.120): icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=0.189 ms
64 bytes from chadwin (196.25.100.120): icmp_seq=2 ttl=128 time=0.158 ms

--- chadwin ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2031ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.158/0.172/0.189/0.019 ms, pipe 2
[root at localhost chadley]#

Ok if it doesnt work then you need to check that your network is working
on both sides you can run ping <yourlinux boxes ip> from the win pc in
the cmd shell. If it doesnt work then trouble shoot your network
settings.
Remember you must both be in the same IP range.
eg Winbox 192.168.10.1 linuxbox 192.168.10.2 if the ranges are different
it will also hang.
Moving on.
So it works now.

cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.old
vi /etc/fstab <insert>
navigate to bottom of file add and entry like mine

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
0 0
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults
1 2
LABEL=/mnt/backup       /mnt/backup             ext3    defaults
1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults
0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
0 0
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults
0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
//chadwin/music 	/home/chadley/mnt/windoze       smbfs
noauto,username=chadley,password=xxxxxx,user

  Remeber each entry must be on one line.
The mail program will word wrap the lines.
Linux in CaSe SeNsiTiVe try nameing the windows share in lower case.
<esc> <:> <wq>

now type as a user:
mount //chadwin/music replace with yours

should work.

Bonus this share can also be mounted on the gnome desktop.
In open space right click and select disks the entry for your share
should be listed in the slide-out menu.

You can't unmount it from the desktop only root can so to unmount it use
smbumount sharepath from the terminal.

eg:
[chadley at localhost chadley]$ smbumount mnt/windoze/
[chadley at localhost chadley]$

I am here all night if you are still stuck, Yes it night time in South
Africa, Just past midnight.

Happy Adventures Mate