connecting to a winxp box

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 22 01:19:09 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 01:20:19AM +0200, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 01:20, Dennis Calhoun wrote:
> > I'm glad there are people that are so willing to assist those of us
> > that don't know nearly as much about Linux, but while reading this
> > thread I am again finding myself thinking, "What a ridiculously clunky
> > and confusing mess this whole Linux to Windows networking thing is.
> > How I wish that SOME version of Linux was anywhere NEAR as easy to set
> > up a home network for as Windows is. Maybe, just maybe, one day..."
> >
> > Dennis C.
> Agreed!

There are reasons why WindowZ is easy.

At one level it is simple because it does not offer many options or
much protection.  It is also simple because there is no need to
inter-operate with any other vendor.

Recent WindowZ stuff has some possibly good but closed technology.
If it was not closed and if MS would sponsor an "interop" like
connectathon then the walls would fall.

Right now there is no value for MS to open up and foster an
interoperability process.

Someone commented on user interface design a while back.
On the Linux side the user interface stuff needs work.
Today it is more of a feature interface, in part because
we demand all the features.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l