SPAM on the mailing list

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Mar 22 04:05:02 UTC 2004

John Thompson wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:29:12 -0600
>Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:
>

>>There was some discussion in days past about reasons for not using
>>HTML email.
>>
>>Has anyone noticed that there seem to be a LOT of spam messages making
>>it thru the mailing list now?
>>

>Is it really spam, or just messages that are being tagged as spam?  I've not seen any blatant spam on the list, but I did notice some messages being dumped by my filter.  These turned out to be legitimate messages, but with a " X-RedHat-Spam-Warning:" header that made my procmail toss it out.

It IS spam.

I checked the headers and it is being sent to me, with a return address
of the list, but not originating on the list.

Since my filters put anything with a return address of the list into
that box I thought they were in fact coming from the list.

>For what it's worth, this message from you was tagged by the list server with a spam level of over 9, and I usually dump anything over 5:

Probably because the word spam is in the subject.

Thanks for replying.