How to share kppp with all non-root users

Parameshwara Bhat pbhat at ongc.net
Mon Mar 22 06:01:56 UTC 2004

Hi List,

I recently installed Fedora Core1.I am a migrant from MS Windows
fascinated by the ideology of free software

My box is for home use with other family members sharing it.Each has a
user account.Each needs to connect to Internet.But Kppp doesn't allow any
non-root users to launch it without providing root password.

I tried creating a dialout group and putting all users in that group along
with the root as suggested by the Kppp manual.Now
/usr/bin/consolehelper,/usr/bin/kppp>consolehelper link,usr/sbin/kppp all
are groupowned by dialout group.This didn't work.I tried putting pppd also
on this owner-group.Still it doesn't work,not only that I cannot run kppp
now - unlike earlier - without expressly specifying  'run as root'.

Can anybody suggest me ways to share kppp without requiring to provide
root password.

Thanx all,

Parameshwara Bhat