Dual boot Win98/Fedora with grub

Mark Neidorff mark at neidorff.com
Mon Mar 22 05:44:21 UTC 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Jeff Vian wrote:

> I have a machine that is running FC1 on hda
> I also have win98 installed on the second drive (from linux, hdb )
>
> These OSes were installed one at a time,with only one drive in when
> installed.
> What I want to do is  put the windows drive in as the second drive and
> setup grub to dual boot.  It appears from the grub documentation that I
> should be able to write a stanza in the grub.conf file similar to
>
> title Windows
>      map     (hd0)      (hd1)
>      map     (hd1)      (hd0)
>     rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>     chainloader +1
>     makeactive
>     boot
>
> However this fails.

Here is my grub configuration file for my windows 98 /linux setup.  Note
that I have Win98 on a IDE drive (hd0)and linux on a scsi drive (hd2).
There is a scsi drive (hd1)that is not bootable.  I hope this helps you.

Mark

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd2,0)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sdb1
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd2,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Linux 7.3 (2.4.20-13.7)
	root (hd2,0)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-13.7 ro root=/dev/sdb1 hdc=ide-scsi
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-13.7.img
title win
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1